Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dog Training

OMG, I have to tell you, I had the best time last night!!

You're going to laugh at me, I know, but I went to a dog training seminar, led by a new friend of mine, Nikki Ivey. It... was... AWESOME!! Her new organization is called DogSpeak. She's just so passionate about dog training and the positive reinforcement techniques, AND she can talk about it in an educating and just lovable way. I know, I'm gushing, but I can't wait for the next one.

I met Nikki about a year and a half ago when she had her own indoor facility where I would take Mako for occational dog socialization nights. It was a big warehouse sized space with padded floor puzzle pieces, so they weren't playing directly on cement (have you heard a dog's head hit the cement when wrestling with another dog? It's heart-sinking scary.) She closed the facility to focus on other passions she had, namely her Search and Rescue organization TERRA, and helping another facility get their dog day care going strong. She's done a wonderful job with both (Note: she also started TN's Metro SAR before starting TERRA), and I've recently touched base with her again. I can't wait to see and learn more about dog training and truly understanding the amazing relationship one can have with their pet when you finally understand each other.

So, for anyone who owns a dog, whether you think you have issues or not, about anything, check out her website and Yahoo! Group. The website talks about how to understand your dog's language and how to train a dog with humane, and efficient, techniques to have good manners around the house and beyond. The Yahoo! Group is a forum where you can ask questions and receive notifications of upcoming seminars and events.

and

Check it out!! Her next seminar is:

Dog-Dog Interactions
9:00am - 12:00pm
classroom lesson
1:30pm - 3:30pm
dog park work with the dogs!!

~Gwen

No comments: